Sunday, August 3, 2008

Pearls of Wisdom - 23



"Is it that Lord Krishna is about to disappear from this earth, as predicted by Narada? It was due to His causeless mercy alone that we achieved kingly opulence, good wives, control over our subjects, and victory over our enemies."
"Just see how evil omens are being manifest due to celestial influence, predicting danger in the very near future. The left side of my body is quivering and my heart is racing in fear. Look at the she-jackal vomiting fire while howling at the rising sun. dogs bark at me fearlessly, cows are passing me on the the left side - while lower animals like asses, are circumambulating me. Upon seeing me, my horses appear to weep. The shirks of owls and their rivals, the crows, makes my heart tremble."
"Indeed, the whole world appears to be trembling, and thunder roars in the cloudless sky. Due to violent winds, dust has clouded all directions, creating a dense darkness. When I look into the sky,it appears as if the stars are fighting amongst themselves. Rivers, lakes and the mind are all agitated, and butter no longer burns."
"What extraordinary time has come upon us? The cows no longer give milk, but simply stand still with tears in their eyes. Even the deities in the temples seem to be crying, perspiring, and about to depart. The cities, villages and the countryside appear to be devoid of beauty and bereft of all happiness. I think that all these disturbances indicate some great loss to the world's good fortune. The earth had become most fortunate due to being marked with the footprints of the lotus feet of the Lord, Shri Krishna."

Yudhishthira Maharaja to Bhima - Canto 1

No comments: